Colleen E. MasseAttorney
Compassion. Knowledge. Tenacity. These are words used to describe Colleen’s work in advocating for individuals with disabilities.
Having a loved one with disabilities (or having disabilities yourself) can be incredibly challenging in ways that only you know. It’s easy to get overwhelmed. Colleen understands - she has spent years working with and advocating for people who are challenged with disabilities.
Colleen is the Chair of our Special Needs Planning Department and the Chair of our Fiduciary Services Department.
Within five minutes of meeting her, you’ll know you’re in great hands. Her calm, kind, and understanding demeanor will assure you that you’re working with the right person to make plans for your future.
Colleen can show you how to use a Special Needs Trust to maintain and improve your quality of life, and to protect your money so you can afford the care you need for the long run. She knows public benefits inside and out and can guide you through the eligibility process in a way that won’t jeopardize your eligibility for government benefits.
Before joining us, Colleen was with PLAN of CT where she worked with families and their attorneys to determine the appropriate trust type for the families’ given situation. She also worked with the Connecticut State Department of Education where she represented students in the care of the Connecticut Department of Children and Families (DCF). In this role, she advocated for children with special education needs - filing complaints, performing record reviews, and communicating with various agencies and providers.
In her spare time, Colleen enjoys the outdoors and often hikes and camps. She’s an avid reader and runner.What She Does
- Special needs planning
- Medicaid applications
- Public Benefits assessment and counsel - including Medicaid, state and federal Medicaid waiver programs, Money Follows the Person, and Community First Choice
- Member of the CBA, Elder Law section
- Member of CBA since 1995
- JD, UConn Law School
- Former secretary of the Dyslexia Society of CT
- Former VP, Board of Directors of SpEdConnecticut
- Board of Directors, First Vice President, 2021-2022, North Central Area Agency on Aging (NCAAA)
- Board Member, CT National Academy of Elder Law Attorneys (NAELA)
- Board Member, Community Health Resources (CHR)