Erin O. DuquesAttorney
Knowledge. Experience. Someone who can translate complex information into plain English. That’s what you expect from your attorney.
Enter Erin. She’s like your reliable advocate-daughter whom you can always count on. Or your smart and savvy sister or friend who knows precisely what you need. She will give you the wise and compassionate advice to help you achieve your goals. When you meet with her you’ll quickly see that what she accomplishes for you is much more than simply drafting legal documents.
Under Erin’s kind and gentle demeanor is an experienced attorney who will take great strides to understand your family and financial situation as well as your objectives. After all, your plan must be tailored to meet your specific circumstances, and your personal wishes.
Who should you choose to serve as trustee? Who is the right person to make financial or healthcare decisions for you? How can you leave money to a beneficiary with creditor or other issues? Erin will take the time to guide you.
She has the experience to effectively address a myriad of estate planning needs that you may have, including:
- Minimizing federal and state estate tax exposure
- Protecting assets in the event long term care is needed in the future,
- Ensuring that assets left to a beneficiary will be protected from potential divorce or creditor issues
Erin can help you understand and navigate the ever-complex world of Medicaid eligibility. She can also assist with protecting assets, both well in advance of and when faced with the imminent need for long term care.
Families of individuals with special needs appreciate Erin’s knowledge of federal and Connecticut public benefit programs as well as her track record working with and advocating for individuals with disabilities. She has experience in creating special needs trusts to preserve assets so an individual can maintain his or her quality of life.
Before joining Czepiga Daly Pope & Perri, Erin practiced in the areas of estate planning, elder law, and special needs planning. She has worked as a special education attorney and has also worked with a nonprofit that helps individuals with disabilities live and work independently in the community.
Outside of the office, Erin enjoys running and has completed three half marathons. Most recently her running consists of chasing the family’s new puppy around! She’s a wife and mom of two and enjoys traveling with her family. She currently serves her community of Madison on its Board of Selectmen.Other Impressive Things
- Board Member, SARAH Foundation, Guilford, CT
- Former Trustee, Mitchell College, New London, CT
- Former General Counsel, Vista Life Innovations, Madison, CT
- Member of the Connecticut Bar Association, Elder Law and Trusts and Probate Sections
- Town of Madison, Affordable Housing Committee Member
- Quinnipiac University School of Law, JD, 2005, magna cum laude
- University of Massachusetts at Amherst, BBA - Marketing, magna cum laude
- Estate planning
- Asset protection
- Elder law
- Special needs planning
- Estate administration
- Medicaid applications
- Public Benefits assessment and counsel - including Medicaid, state and federal Medicaid waiver